Monday, September 14, 2015

Compare and Contrast Critique



While the resulting piece is drastically changed from the original, my derivative work of art does share common elements to its predecessor. I incorporated a lot of the same shapes to create figures that would appear in roughly the same space of the piece, such as the woman entering from behind a curtain and the seated figure with the head on the hand. You may also notice that values were influenced by Picasso's cubist shapes. Where he may have used distinctive lines to cut through a figure and create a new form, I tried to mimic those lines with a value change.

One of the elements that is very different is the color scheme. I've incorporated much brighter colors (oranges and yellows) as well as a wider spectrum (purples and greens) as opposed to Picasso's muted/analogous red scheme. I also refined the movement of the piece, utilizing line to direct the viewer's eye to a focal point (the golden cup). The addition of this element, as well as the stylization of the feminine figures, also changes the mood from a somber, confrontational piece to a light-hearted, fun work. I'm rather proud of the execution of this project. Given more time, I'd work on really blending those colors and pushing the contrast to increase the sense of depth for each figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment